Saturday, May 14, 2011

Why Do You Relay???

Robby and I bought our house in Rita Ranch in 2006 with the hopes that I would secure a teaching position in Vail before the new school year began. As luck would have it, we moved into our new home in February, I had my interview in March, and was offered a teaching position at Desert Willow in April. My first year teaching in Vail I was introduced to the ACS Relay for Life. I have participated every year since!

We relayed for Kim!
This year the Cottonwood team relayed for Kim Conca. Our relay shirts were made in her honor.

I relayed for Boppa!
Bobby spent more time in a hospital than any infant should. Thankfully, he was there as a visitor and not a patient. Less than a month after Bobby was born, Boppa underwent surgery at TMC to remove the cancer cells that had been found in his bladder. His entire bladder was removed and a new one was constructed. Bobby went to visit his Boppa every day that he was in the hospital. It has been almost 7 years since his surgery and today we can say that Boppa is cancer free!

I relayed for Nana!
During my first year teaching in Vail, Nana was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. She immediately underwent an extensive surgery called the whipple procedure. Bobby and Katie visited Nana regularly during her stay at TMC. In addition to her surgery, Nana underwent 6 months of chemotherapy. It has been over 3 years since her surgery and today we can say Nana is also cancer free!

Boppa, Nana, Bobby, Katie, and Andy

Diana, Apryl and I

Charlotte

Debby and Sonja

Katie Cakes

Dave, Antonio, and Autumn Conca

Andy (AKA: Punkalicious)

Mrs. Lane and Bobby

Maggie and Mia

Ami

The Bunchkins

Mary and Hunter

The caregiver lap

The Cottonwood Dodgers!!!

Celebrate!
Remember!
Fight Back!

1 comment:

  1. love this post. what an awesome picture of the kids with Boppa and Nana!! We do have fun at the Relay yet we all realize why we are there and keep hoping and praying for a cure to this disgusting disease!

    ReplyDelete