Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Ode to Butterflies

We've all experienced it. The anticipation or occurrence of something so monumental that you can literally feel the butterflies taking flight in your stomach. They flit and flutter so rapidly that your heart starts beating a little faster and your knees begin to shake.

This is my 11th year teaching. I've had countless observations; yet I still get butterflies every time I even think about being observed. I am being observed tomorrow...so that means a sleepless night and a morning filled with anxiety. The butterflies will dwell in my tummy until I've completed my lesson and conducted my post-conference. (Unfortunately, I have to wait until Monday for my post.) I don't know why I get so nervous about observations. I just do. The butterflies take flight each year, despite words of encouragement and wisdom.

There are wonderful things that make my tummy flutter as well. So here is my ode to the shiny, happy butterflies...
Date nights with my hubby...it's been 14 years, but I still enjoy the
anticipation of spending an evening out with the man that I love.

Watching my angels sleep. I could sit for hours just memorizing
the feel of their little hands in mine and watching their cherubic faces.

Being right there for all of the "firsts"...their first steps,
their first words, their first EVERYTHING! My heart skips a beat every time.

Teaching - Every morning I feel blessed to be a part
of my amazing class. My students brighten each day and
make me feel like I am truly making a difference.

Heres to the butterflies that inhabit each of us. May they always be bright, beautiful butterflies. :)

3 comments:

  1. No need to worry, my friend! You are an amazing teacher! I will be thinking positive thoughts for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck tomorrow! I like to think the butterflies before observations means you're a great teacher & the kids are lucky to have you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful analogy...here's to those butterflies! Oh, and by the way, I'm almost 60 years old and I still get them, too.
    You will do great! I'll be thinking of you...LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete