Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Loss

It seems tonight that I'm at a loss...a loss for words to fill this page...a loss to explain to my 1st grader why he might not have specials next year...a loss to understand what goes on inside the heads of others.

Vail asked the voters to make some important decisions about education in southern Arizona this November. It makes me sad to realize that even though I whole-heartedly believe in the democratic process, I feel like my team lost a big game yesterday. A majority of voters chose to discontinue supporting Vail's excelling schools through home property taxes. So now we are faced with the looming question of: What is next?

We are faced with difficult economic times these days. Families are struggling to keep a roof over their heads and to provide for their families. Schools are struggling to provide students with a safe, quality education despite the budget cuts and numerous other challenges that they face. I know that despite this difficult loss at the polls yesterday, the wonderful people that I work with will continue to make a difference in the lives of the children we teach. Despite a budget that continues to be slashed every year, we will provide our students with unique learning opportunities that challenge them to become the best "me's they can be".

While my heart feels saddened to think about continuing to do even more with even less, I am inspired by the educational community I am blessed to be a part of. I entrust my own children into their loving hands each day...and I will continue to stand in awe of the way these amazing individuals who are helping to shape my little ones future. THANK YOU!

Thank you to my charismatic and caring superintendent, who took time out of his own schedule to stop by and say thank you on Saturday. I know that there isn't another superintendent out there like you...and I am thankful for your commitment to the Vail community every day.

Thank you to my supportive, kind, amazing principal for everything you do! You always know just what to say and make me feel like a part of your family. Your door is always open and I know that you are there when I need you. I am blessed to be a part of your Cottonwood family.

Thank you to my co-workers and friends! You have supported me through some tough times during the past year. I love sharing my life with you and can't think of a better group of people to work with each day. Thank you for inspiring me to be a better teacher!
(A special thank you to my amazing parapro. You know who you are! You save my life every day...literally! I am thankful for your commitment, your creativity, and your friendship.)

Thank you to my students! The minute you walk through the door each day, my heart fills with joy at your eager smiles and I cannot wait to go on another learning adventure with you. You make me forget everything except the joy of learning for the hours that I am privileged enough to spend with you.

Thank you to my husband! You always ask me about my day, spend countless hours with me each year in my classroom, and even help me glue projects together! You patiently give up your time with me so that I may give that extra personal touch to my classroom. You are an amazing teacher yourself!

Thank you to my children! You teach me patience, sharing, joy, love and much more every day. You remind me to take the time to smell the roses and to make use of those "teachable moments" that occur so often. Thank you for sharing your mommy.

1 comment:

  1. The Public Health system says "amen, sister." We have so many poeple in need, and funding is cut more and more. "Do more with less" has turned into "do everything with nothing." Now with another turn in politics we all wonder what is coming. "Those people need to take care of themselves". Those people are our neighbors; our very community. Yet I continue to lead a wonderful group of folks who's very purpose is to provide outreach to those in need.
    Life is difficult at best; but you inherited an innate purpose to serve others. Don't ever forget you are one of them.

    ReplyDelete